WorldVision

Ask me about Child Sponsorship ... Its pretty cool!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Image of God at Scarborough Town Centre

This is something I wrote while waiting in Scarborough after a bus had dropped me off. I'd love to hear your comments on it, further challenges, as well as suggestions for practical application.

“Christ has taken on this human form … In Christ’s incarnation all of humanity regains the dignity of bearing the image of God. Whoever from now on attacks the least of the people attacks Christ, who took on human form and who in himself has restored the image of God for all who bear a human countenance.”
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Beginning to understand this truth has radically changed the way I look at people as I sit waiting here at the food court of Scarborough Town Centre. I think I’ve read of this before and begun to think about it – at least I remember a similar idea in Greg Paul’s book – “God in the Alley” where he explains how he discovered that as he helped a friend of his through one of his lowest human moments he saw the face of Jesus in him in a profound way. I understood it at the time in terms of seeing Jesus in the oppressed or suffering – which I think is a very valid and valuable concept – but the idea of seeing God’s presence in all others simply because they are human has given me a new, fresh understanding.

I’ve dwelt much lately on how as I look at others walking around campus I judge them. Basically, my walk through the busy paths between classes consists of looking at a person and determining my decision of their worth. A practice that I have been, well, trying to practice, is looking at a person and declaring my love toward them (in my head). It seems to create a drastic difference in my attitude toward them. Reading the above quote from a book on ‘mystic-activism’ by Curtiss Paul DeYoung reinforces this idea for me. To be part of the body of Christ is to understand fundamentally the necessary humanization of ‘others’. By understanding that each person currently walking around me is a human – and therefore reflects the image of God – it seems almost easier, nay necessary to love them. I hopefully love God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my mind and therefore I have no option but to love all of His creations – with all my heart and all my soul and all my mind!

As DeYoung goes on to discuss this he emphasizes that it includes, in so many situations the oppressed and the oppressor. It brings to mind the words of Jesus – “Whatever you do to the least of these – you have done to me” - how true it is.

Lord the challenge of living out your love is unbelievably difficult, unbelievably rewarding, and unbelievably human. Help me to continue to understand your love in such a way that I have no choice but to extend it towards those around me.

3 comments:

  1. steve. great post man! I honestly believe that this is the only way we can learn to love and appreciate everyone we come in contact with. We must recognize that the bear God's image, just as you mentioned. I makes me believe they are inherently good people; no matter what they do or say. Otherwise I would be pissed off a lot more hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is it that it is hard to do though? Its even hard to give people we don't 'like' the benefit of the doubt if we are not in the 'mood' for it. i sure hope it doesn't all come down to our selfishness and the fact that we feel we'll get something from forgiving our friends but not our enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its so hard because it's not as glamourous or as easy as it sounds. Seeing the face of Christ in the poor or in our enemies sounds almost romantic. But it reminds me of Mother Teresa- we know that she worked with the poor, destitute and the lepers...and of course she was a saint. But "working with the poor" sounds a lot more glamourous and easy than it is. In reality- she probably saw some pretty disgusting things, smelled horrible smells and literally cleaned maggots out of people's wounds. Seeing Christ in the poor and in our enemies means accepting the situation for what it is- in all of it's wholeness- the ugly and gory. I think this is why its so hard.

    ReplyDelete