WorldVision

Ask me about Child Sponsorship ... Its pretty cool!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Need for Love

"These days I can never look up at the sky and see the moon without thinking with wonder and awe that men have walked there. To conceive of such a thing - to desire such an adventure, to be capable of overcoming all fear, all doubt, to have faith in man's ability to solve problems, and seek out the way to go about this great exploration - what dedication of mind and will! 'What is man that thou art mindful of him? Thou hast made him little less than the angels.' It keeps coming into my mind - how much man would be capable of if his soul were strong in the love of God, if he wanted God as much as he wanted to penetrate the power and glory of God's creation.

To know Him, to love Him, and to love Him, and to serve Him - a personal God, who took on human flesh and became man and suffered and died for us. To find the way, not to the moon but to God - this is man's[sic] real desire, because of his need for love, and God is love."


Dorothy Day, The Catholic Worker, March-April 1976

I think often what amazes me in my poor understanding of God, but in my search after Him, is discovering the true desires of my heart. It can also be so frustrating at times to think how lost one can be - grasping and seeking out the ' penetration of the power and glory of God's creation' because sometimes that's all we know - sometimes that's all we want to know. It is also heartbreaking to look around and see all the energy put towards finding a way to love without ever thinking of the source and power of love itself. I believe wholly and truly that resting in the love of the heart of God is what I desire and I need. It is often, however, that I do not act in a way that shows this conclusion to be evident, even worse, in a way that enables me to grow closer to the heart of God.

But isn't it good that life is long - in order that we may have time to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment