WorldVision

Ask me about Child Sponsorship ... Its pretty cool!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Humility?

... it had made her realize that any good thing we do has its source, not in ourselves but rather in that spring where this tree, which is the soul, is planted, and in that sun which sheds its radiance on our works.  She says that she saw this so clearly that, whenever she did any good thing, or saw such a thing done, she betook herself straightway to its Source, realizing that without His help we are powerless.  She then went on at once to praise God; and, as a rule, when she did any good action, she never gave a thought to herself at all.   - St Teresa of Avila

I had this quote written down a while ago and was dwelling on it today.  I feel like I wish I knew more what humility was and this, I think, might be a good place to start.  My sister-in-law, quoting her pastor I believe, once said "humility is the shyest of virtues."  I like that thought too - but then I don't really know much about it if I am writing and talking in the search to learn no?  Well, it is what it is.  I think the good thing about going straightway to the Source is that it reinforces that in some way we are known by God in what we do, in our efforts to love and live right and hopefully we get to the place where that is enough (most likely through repetition).  Or at least we try to get to that place, which is a struggle enough sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment